We’re super excited to announce the launch of the first online course from the SocialCops Academy — Planning for Data Collection. Sign up here.
Master the basic concepts, tools and tips you need to create a stellar data collection plan for your organization in this online course. Learn how mobile-based data collection can help you save time, reduce costs and optimize resources in your next data collection exercise.
What can you expect to learn in this course?
- Build a framework for your data collection exercise
- Understand what data you need to collect
- Measure the cost of your data collection exercise
- Learn about the benefits of mobile-based data collection
- Choose between different mobile-based data collection tools
- Evaluate budgetary, technology and logistical factors involved
With this free online course you will be able to build a robust data collection plan, which will help you capture data about your program, monitor its performance and measure its impact!
Who should take this course?
This course is suitable for independent researchers, field managers and program officers from nonprofits, philanthropies, governments and other development organizations who are looking to use data to monitor their programs, track their performance and measure impact. This course will help you create a basic data collection framework for conducting baseline surveys, market research studies, program monitoring and evaluation, etc.
What all does this course cover?
With the help of video-based lectures, exhaustive reading resources and real-life examples from the field, this online course will introduce you to the basics of building a stellar data collection plan over the course of two modules:
Module 1: Thinking Critically About Data
- What Information Is Needed?
- What Information Is Available?
- What Information Is Useful?
Module 2: Thinking Critically About Tools
- Mobile-Based vs. Paper-Based Data Collection (Advantages, Limitations)
- Types of Mobile-Based Data Collection (IVRS, SMS/iSMS, App-Based)
- Factors to Consider: Budgetary, Technology, Logistics
By exploring the fundamentals of data collection — such as distinguishing between identifiers and subject-related information and figuring out how to measure indicators for each — you can create an effective strategy to capture the exact data point you need in the most time, money and resource-efficient manner.
The course will also dive deep into the benefits offered by mobile-based data collection technologies, such as better speed, higher accuracy, lower costs and richer data, and explore different mobile-based data collection technologies like Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS), SMS or Interactive SMS (iSMS) and app-based mobile data collection tools.
How much does this course cost?
Absolutely nothing, for now! You can enroll in this course for free, access the video lectures anytime and anywhere, and learn at your own pace.
So are you ready to start collecting data like a pro? Sign up here!