Here are the articles that our readers found most useful and enjoyable last year. Take a look and let us know if we missed any of your personal favorites!
Most of our most-viewed articles this year were from Academy! Check out the links below for articles power-packed with tips on how to collect, use and visualize data better.
- Launching Our First Course: Planning for Data Collection
- The Best Project Monitoring and Evaluation Guides
- 6 Sampling Techniques: How to Choose a Representative Subset of the Population
- How to Conduct a Successful Focus Group Discussion
- Visualizing Time Series Data: 7 Types of Temporal Visualizations
This year’s top data stories were an examination of the Mumbai train system, stray dogs, and some myths about what it’s like to work with the Indian Government. Missed the stories the first time around or need a refresher? Dive back in with the links below.
- Mumbai Local Trains: Is the Western or Central Line Busier During Rush Hour?
- Stray Dogs in India: An Issue of Public Health and Animal Welfare
- 7 Common Myths About Working With the Indian Government
- How Sustainable and Successful Is the Delhi Metro?
- The Data Science Algorithms That Silently Power Uber Cabs
Our engineers were prolific blog writers this year, and several of their articles topped our charts. The first article — using the Titanic data set for learning the basics of machine learning — was actually the top engineering article for last year too!
- Would You Survive the Titanic? A Guide to Machine Learning in Python
- D3.js vs. Google Charts: A Data Scientist’s Review
- Engineering Systems to Solve Hard Problems: Building a Full-Stack Data Startup for the Developing World
- How We Built Collect Using the MVP Pattern (Model-View-Presenter)
- How to Create Granular Geospatial Dashboards with the ELK Stack
Our remaining articles cover what it’s like to work in our team, with perspectives from our Deployments, Data and Hiring teams. In addition, one of our top articles answered many people’s burning question about SocialCops — what do we actually do?
- Why I Moved to the Startup World to Drive Better Governance in India
- An Insider’s Peek into Life in the SocialCops Data Team
- SocialCops: What We Actually Do
- Interested in Joining the SocialCops Team? Here’s What You Need to Do.
- Why My SocialCops Interview Was One of a Kind
Before we end, we’d like to take a moment to thank you for being a constant supporter and avid reader of our blog — your continued feedback and enthusiasm keeps us going. Wishing you a wonderful, successful, and data-filled 2018!